Countertops - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main General Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Latest Member Gallery Photos]
Posted by Bill Homer [Email] (more from Bill Homer) on Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:19:11
In Reply to: Tell us your kitchen remodeling stories and advice., adl6009 [Profile/Gallery]
, Tue, 20 Jan 2009 21:42:51
You seem to be missing countertops from your list; depending on the material and area, this can be a very large additional cost. The big trend has been granite and synthetics, however my wife sells eco-friendly recycled material such as Syndecrete, Squak Mountain, Gilasi, etc. in her store in Chicago.
We redid our kitchen a few years ago and wanted a modern European look, but didn't want to pay Pogenpohl or Siematic prices. We found a local business in Chicago that imports similar lacquered cabinets from the Czech Republic, uses the same Blum hardware and fittings, but was much less expensive.
Tip: if you live in a house, prepare a temporary kitchen. We took the old cabinets and moved some of them to the laundry room in the basement (there is already a sink there for clean up), along with the old fridge, microwave, etc. Cooking took place on a plug-in cooktop with two coils, an electric frying pan, and a toaster oven - I had to add a few outlets. If you are contemplating a project that will take more than a few days (ours was a major reconfiguration and took two months), you will want to be able to cook/eat your own food at home, even if you do it in the basement.
posted by 12.151.249...
Posts in this Thread:
- Tell us your kitchen remodeling stories and advice., adl6009 , Tue, 20 Jan 2009 21:42:51
- Re: Tell us your kitchen remodeling stories and advice., swede-murphy , Wed, 21 Jan 2009 21:57:47
- Look for Bill Davies on the 9000 board, PT, Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:44:48
- on the cheap, DougM , Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:36:15
- Great stuff, adl6009 , Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:57:13
- Re: Tell us your kitchen remodeling stories and advice., Erik919kt, Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:41:51
- A few suggestions, newwithasaab, Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:32:47
- Countertops, Bill Homer, Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:19:11 <-- Viewing This Message
- Done this twice, DivrDon , Wed, 21 Jan 2009 08:33:48
- Re: Tell us your kitchen remodeling stories and advice., Mattias.se, Wed, 21 Jan 2009 07:11:36
- Did ours about 5 years ago, Noel , Wed, 21 Jan 2009 05:43:47
- Re: Tell us your kitchen remodeling stories and advice., Randy Thatcher , Tue, 20 Jan 2009 22:06:00
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!