Best of luck in whatever path you take - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Click Banner for Details on this Saabnet.com Classified
The banner above is an advertisment - if it asks you to download software, please ignore.
Site News -
11/28 #GivingTuesday - P2P $25K Match |
8/29 Make Amazon.com Pay Saabnet! |
8/11 SimpliSafe Security System Review
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
Never worked at a dealer, always did my own thing. I'm only 24, but I own my own shop (that I started with my own savings) and do most of the work myself. Over 150 customers currently. Never knew how long this would last or how long I would do this, but the recent bankruptcy has pulled the water from the roots and I'm sad I'll have to slowly watch the tree die.
We hear negative feedback about the dealers on a daily basis from our customers. That is why they are our customers, I suppose. Seems the constant lust after growth and market control always bring quality down and costs up.
That being said, it's almost never the technicians we hear bad things about, but the service writers. Given, the customers do not meet their technicians usually at large dealerships, and I know a few technicians who definitely bill their labor generously on some jobs, but that is the nature of the business. The service writers are the ones who try to sell sell sell and end up scaring off customers of leave people feeling ripped off or over charged in general.
Almost all of the best SAAB technicians I know are being pulled to other brands or retiring. That scares me as much as the parts availability.
Reading your posts here and your responses to my questions have been more helpful to me than you could know and have led to many cars being kept on the road or repaired. Thanks for that. I try to pay it forward when I give advice on here. Hopefully you'll stick around and keep giving advice here and there.
I'm still young and dumb enough to think that anyone can do almost anything if they really try, so maybe take serious consideration in working for yourself. It only takes a small yet loyal customer base when you start doing your own thing. Lease space to save money and give yourself flexibility. Get some good commercial accounts and make enough on the parts to cover the overhead and let the labor truly pay you for once.
Posts in this Thread:
Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
- Hey saabdoc! You still around?, John Myers, Mon, 20 Feb 2012 09:36:47
- Many many thanks, Bruce, Tue, 21 Feb 2012 09:13:10
- Best of luck in whatever path you take, Chadwick , Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:57:42 <-- Viewing This Message
- Hey, hope to still see you around here, bender , Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:17:13
- Re: Hey saabdoc! You still around?, saabdoc, Mon, 20 Feb 2012 19:27:43
- No worries, nwas, Mon, 20 Feb 2012 18:11:42
- Sorry to hear that .., DavidFromNYC, Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:33:14
- New job and a new kid!, Steve T., Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:04:18
- Bummer, but enjoy yourself man!, turrbo , Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:03:54
- Horrible news, MI-Roger , Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:33:36
- Naw, John Myers, Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:51:44
- John, so sorry to hear this!, Noel, Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:29:05
- If you go Indy, Gargoyle, Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:54:16
- Shhh!, John Myers, Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:14:34
- Sorry to hear. Thx for all the advice. Best wishes n/m, caukinh, Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:52:29
- MyDocShop: Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Siegfried, Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:33:44
- That's harsh news, SWEDECAR , Mon, 20 Feb 2012 09:56:47
- Re: That's harsh news, John Myers, Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:27:57
- Teach? Teach us!, InnateTech , Wed, 22 Feb 2012 09:54:59
- Re: That's harsh news, SWEDECAR , Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:00:22
- It is possible to reinvent yourself, No Snaab, Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:56:32
- Bravo!, John Myers, Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:22:30
- Re: Teaching...., Noel, Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:32:16
- If I was starting a new shop, Bill Homer , Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:17:09
- It's true, John Myers, Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:30:09
- Re: Hey saabdoc! You still around?, EGD , Mon, 20 Feb 2012 09:52:31
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
|Jak Stoll Performance
|M Car Covers
Random Saabnet.com Member Gallery Photos (Click Image)
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Poverty2Prosperity.org | Run Club Menlo Park | ScreenBot
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!