Re: Another SAAB! NO ? ! ok buy something .. ALFA ROMEO ? - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
I don't have that age restriction on my vehicle choices, but I have colleagues who do - I was merely indicating that car choice can be affected by circumstances.
I think the Alfas are very nice, and definitely one of the cars on many people's radar here. I also really like the look of some of the more recent Jags (F type especially) - even the sedans are much less of a grandpa car aesthetically than the old ones, but I've not driven them.
wrt volvo... "a luxury car wannabe"... not sure that's quite right. I see them as a Swedish car, that has luxury elements because that is what they need to do to fit the market appropriately. I think the same can be said of SAAB. If you look at the c900, it was never intended to be a luxury vehicle. It was a practical car that was designed to be safe, perform, haul stuff, etc. Cloth seats, roll up windows etc were the norm originally. Later ones usually had leather seats, but the point is that they were still not intended to be luxury cars per se. If you look at Volvo 240... same deal... the main difference between Volvo and SAAB to me is that SAABs are more fun (there's that Volvo drives like a tractor joke, though it's not really fair either)... but there is a fair bit in common, mainly because they share a similar sort of philosophy that comes from being Swedish. That's why the NG9-5 did so little for me: it was trying to be a large luxury car, which is not what I think of with SAAB... I would say the same is true of the S80.
So I would say SAAB is a luxury car wannabe as well, and that's fine by me. When I think luxury car, I think Caddy, Lincoln, Merc, Jag... maybe even Buick (near luxury): comfortable luxurious interiors and ride... grandpa cars... those brands try to make sporty options as well, but the target market is a little different than SAAB or Volvo was originally. And I would say for the most part Audi and BMW have a similar original slant in that they were based around sport sedans (3 series, quattro) more so than luxury... of course none of this is black and white as you indicate with your caddy rental... everyone tries to do everything nowadays because market diversification helps long term stability of the business as trends come and go...
We will probably buy another SAAB, but I can see why many will not given that the newest ones are now at least 6 years old. Unfortunate reality.
Posts in this Thread:
- Replacement for my saab, feq451, Sat, 22 Jul 2017 14:32:02
- I've had 20+ cars, and not one has really replaced my saab..., Johnson, Wed, 6 Sep 2017 15:30:35
- You can laugh but..., Cary, Mon, 7 Aug 2017 16:09:13
- Finally replaced my Saab with a BMW 320i, Sam8, Fri, 4 Aug 2017 13:31:34
- Re: Replacement for my saab an Alfa Romeo ! seriously !, neil dale , Fri, 28 Jul 2017 23:29:371
- Re: Replacement for my saab, 2002Viggen, Wed, 26 Jul 2017 15:49:30
- Re: Replacement for my saab, Pete , Tue, 25 Jul 2017 19:34:58
- Volvo S60/V60, EGD , Mon, 24 Jul 2017 02:12:08
- Re: Replacement for my saab, BarryMabel , Sun, 23 Jul 2017 08:57:20
- Another SAAB!, Paul from Palmyra, PA, Sun, 23 Jul 2017 02:17:331
- Re: Another SAAB! yes ! buy all the used ones now if you can !, neil dale , Fri, 28 Jul 2017 09:55:311
- Problem is, Feq451, Tue, 25 Jul 2017 13:29:49
- I like the tech package in my 1989 c900..., Snowmobile , Wed, 26 Jul 2017 19:46:231
- Behind? behind who? didn't know it's a competition, GFW3pedals , Wed, 26 Jul 2017 06:00:111
- I don't see a problem, JerseySaab , Tue, 25 Jul 2017 18:08:45
- $29,990 Regal Sportback +7 cu ft on a 9000., Norm9-5, Tue, 25 Jul 2017 17:41:33
- Didn't GM just sell Opel to Peugeot?, SRS900S, Thu, 27 Jul 2017 19:09:37
- Even cheaper than that, starts under $26K, A1-turbo, Wed, 26 Jul 2017 07:26:29
- Re: $29,990 Regal Sportback +7 cu ft on a 9000., QuietTide , Tue, 25 Jul 2017 18:24:27
- probably what we will do, Snowmobile , Sun, 23 Jul 2017 15:21:30
- Love my A4, DE , Sat, 22 Jul 2017 15:39:37
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!