[Subscribe to Daily Digest]
|[Main General Bulletin Board | BBFAQ |
Prev by Date | Next by Date | Post Followup ]
Member Login / Signup - Members see fewer ads. - Latest Member Gallery Photos
Round #1 Antenna Results Posted by MI-Roger [Email] (#882) [Profile/Gallery] (more from MI-Roger) on Mon, 6 Mar 2023 12:44:18
In Reply to: Cutting the cord for non-data intensive Retirees, MI-Roger [Profile/Gallery] , Wed, 1 Feb 2023 12:20:40 Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
We were in Target today checking on Consumer Cellular Phone Plan pricing and implementation, when we looked for antenna options to eliminate our CATV service. They did not have the Plain Jane square vinyl antenna for pasting on a window, but they did have a similar sized blackbox of 1/2-inch thickness which was advertised as being Amplified and having a range of 60 miles. So we bought one and tried it out today.
1) Reception was significantly better when the black box antenna was positioned in front of the window, even with the antenna being amplified.
2) Our Smart TV was able to scan the airwaves via the antenna and located 41 channels
3) The TV also assembled an hourly listing of what would be displayed on each of the channels we received. This is a HUGE convenience we feared we would lose when we cut the CATV cord.
4) The antenna did not pickup all of the local OTA stations. We did not receive any CBS affiliated stations, either Detroit or Toledo, nor did we received any of the local Detroit PBS stations.
5) I was surprised at the number of specialized stations which are available. I wrongfully assumed these transmissions were purchased by the Cable Company to be provided in their channel line-up.
Next step will be purchase and installatin of an above the roof antenna with a 100+ mile range. The desired stations we were not able to receive are broadcast from 40+ miles away, and of lower broadcast signal strength per the ChannelMaster website. I found the ChannelMaster website to be in error regarding the distance to transmission tower. All or almost all Detroit broadcast towers are located in a suburb North of Detroit, placing them 40+ miles from our home Zipcode rather than the indicated 27-29 miles.
->Posting last edited on Mon, 6 Mar 2023 12:45:57.
_______________________________________ Saabs owned: 2008 9-5 Aero Sedan, sold at 227K miles 2006 9-3SC 2.0T - Wife's daily driver 2000 Viggen Convertible - Sold May, 2022 1964 Quantum IV Formula Car - Retirement project 2000 9-5lpt Sedan, sold at 318K miles
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.