I did some research online and it there was so much talk about Graf with metal impellar vs plastic geunine oem. I went with the techs recommendation on using a Graf water pump with metal impellar. He says he has done a few hundred t-belt jobs on vw/audis over the years and has had practically no issues with the graf water pump. Mentioned he pulls tons of oem plastic ones out that have broke and sent pieces through the cooling system.
The rest of the parts he is going to use were GMB, NTN, Contitech, and Behr and also do a coolant flush with G12 coolant.
After doing some more research on these cars we are going to get rid of it in 2 years or so. She got the car for free from her dad who bought a new car. Dont feel like dealing with the crazy front suspension setup which will probably need to be addressed soon from research.
Tech also mentioned that most of his customers when told about the t-belt and cost will respond with I would have never bought the car if I knew that. He said many of them simply say its not worth it and Ill just get another car.
posted by 99.6.110...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Volkswagen/Audi timing belt change? $1200? Crazy!, Brian, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:12:38
- Removing front end is often very easy., dmz789qqq, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:55:21
- Not that bad..., Larry West , Tue, 29 Nov 2011 08:50:10
- Re: Volkswagen/Audi timing belt change? $1200? Crazy!, William, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:38:05
- Crazy?! How 'bout 1400-1800 per for a PT-Cruiser? Or..., Acubra, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:16:59
- So, what did you get done and what parts used?, Bill Homer, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:58:47
- The death of DIY?, No Snaab , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 15:32:54
- try this question the next time you'll look 4 a new car, Siegfried, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:57:58
- 2 types of buyers., James, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:16:00
- third type, DE, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:51:06
- And..., Noel , Mon, 28 Nov 2011 14:48:51
- Re: try this question the next time you'll look 4 a new car, Justin VanAbrahams, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:14:20
- not dead, just more sophisticated..., James, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:49:22
- Re: The death of DIY?, TML, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 16:21:12
- Re: Volkswagen/Audi timing belt change? $1200? Crazy!, SWEDECAR , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:25:28
- Re: Volkswagen/Audi thermostat change = $1200!, Bill Homer, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:24:15
- Yup, unfortunately $1200 sounds competitive., nateh89spg , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:40:53
- Re: Yup, unfortunately $1200 sounds competitive., Son of Saab, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:38:40
- Honda, jeff in MD , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:30:06
- Re:VW/Audi plastic water pump impellar?, Brian, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:15:29
- Re: Crazy!, Noel , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:17:02
- Re: VW/Audi dealer in CT $2500 + for T-Belt., Brian, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:36:34
- ehh... So what's wrong with it?, Siegfried, Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:11:48
- What's wrong is bad design, Noel , Tue, 29 Nov 2011 07:31:51
- really bad?, Siegfried, Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:06:11
- Well, OK, but my point is more that, Noel , Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:11:15
- will you believe me if..., Siegfried, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:14:17
- Re: will you believe me if..., TML, Thu, 1 Dec 2011 05:07:27
- Unfortunately, my VAG thermostat is dead at 56,000 mile, Bill Homer, Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:41:06
- Re: sorry, Siegfried, Thu, 1 Dec 2011 03:46:14
- Re: VW/Audi dealer in CT $2500 + for T-Belt., bic, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 19:18:15
- I was clearly misinformed!, Noel , Sun, 27 Nov 2011 12:55:32
- That is unfortunate., Mike Johnson, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:21:37
- Makes the ng900/9-3 PS line seem like a good idea, nwas, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:09:54
- Holy crap!, Skip, Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:49:53
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!