Ditto the advice about checking with the school, - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
11/22 Member of the Year Voting
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
and I'm a university CIO. Many schools have negotiated special pricing or have special repair capabilities, as mentioned. This can also hold true for software (e.g., our students and prospective students can buy Office for $70 through a statewide consortium; I know other institutions where it's as little as $12).
What are you going to use the system for? Nine pounds is awfully heavy and two hours of battery life won't let you take notes in many classes consecutively. Public outlets are at a premium on most campuses, so battery life become more important if you're planning on using the system outside of your room.
Processor type and speed are also an issue, particularly for battery life. Unless you're a gamer, an engineering student doing finite element calculations or something similar, you probably don't need a 3 GHz P4 (except for the "my clockrate is higher than yours" comparisons). My personal system is a 1.7GHz PM and it runs all the standard stuff quickly and effectively.
If you're going to be carrying the system around campus something smaller and lighter, with longer battery life (like the 450XL), might make more sense. If a 17" screen is important, the price differential plus what you'd spend on a TV anyway is almost enough to pay for a 17" LCD TV with computer inputs.
The extended warranty and replacement coverage make great sense. If you're going to be carrying it, get an extra power adaptor so you're not crawling under the bed to unplug yours when you're late for class. Think about a second battery. Get the external USB mouse (a mini if you want to be portable). USB drives are replacing floppies on our campus.
posted by 129.210.15...
Posts in this Thread:
Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
- OT: Laptops...., turrbo , Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:50:46
- Re: OT: Laptops...., lincoln.burrows, Wed, 14 Jan 2009 02:26:51
- Re: OT: Laptops...., lincoln.burrows, Wed, 14 Jan 2009 02:24:40
- Thanks sooo much everyone!!!...., turrbo , Sat, 5 Jun 2004 15:28:55
- Go light!, Tim B., Sat, 5 Jun 2004 05:44:42
- I review them, phil, Fri, 4 Jun 2004 23:29:42
- Re: OT: Laptops...., C H Tay, Fri, 4 Jun 2004 19:56:17
- my $0.02, a day late..., saabgirlie , Fri, 4 Jun 2004 16:09:36
- Re: OT: Laptops...., kaslop, Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:38:12
- OK how 'bout this: Pentium or Centrino..., turrbo , Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:37:49
- Vendor support and weight are key (long), KenB, Thu, 3 Jun 2004 18:46:53
- Ditto the advice about checking with the school,, RonD , Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:58:23 <-- Viewing This Message
- Per Ms. Jessica, Stephen Goldberger, Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:24:44
- 9 lbs? Been there, done that, have the shoulder damage, Noel , Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:23:56
- I agree with Trev below...., Roger, Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:39:14
- Currently have 17" Gateway..., KB900psi, Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:06:19
- IBM makes the best lap-tops these days. n/m, J, Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:55:50
- Re: OT: Laptops...., Randy Thatcher , Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:09:34
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!