my $0.02, a day late... - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
4/20 Small Batch Order: Saabnet.com T-Shirts!! Put in Your Order Now!!
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
and possibly a dollar short. ;)
Anyways, I've only owned laptops. I'm on my 4th which is an ubergamer Voodoo. 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM, ATI 9600, 60 GB 7200RPM drive with a 17" screen.
This is more of a small desktop than a laptop. Its 9 lbs. I rarely take it anywhere - or at least anywhere where I'll be walking around with it. Its heavy and ORANGE.
I've had 2 Dells and an IBM.
My advice. If you are planning on toting it around, get a Centrino(Pentium Mobile). They allow for a nice, light and COOL RUNNING lappy with an extraordinary battery life. IIRC a 1.7GHZ PM will give you about the same performance as a 3.0GHZ P4 mobile. A 3GHZ P4 gets hot and its surprisingly noisy - the fans for it at least.
As to your data migration kit. I don't know what it entails and I don't know what kind of data you have. If you are just going to import your config files or a few documents, I don't think you need to spend the money. Just pull them over the network.
You probably don't need the port replicator either. I've *never* needed one. Since you have another machine and you are going to network them, you won't have to stick a bunch of peripherals on your lappy. Even if you did, thats what a small $20 USB hub is for. ;)
It might take some getting used to typing on the laptop keyboard (I have a hard time typing on a regular keyboard) so I'd recommend getting an extra keyboard and mouse, but not a port replicator.
posted by 24.106.5...
Posts in this Thread:
Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
- OT: Laptops...., turrbo , Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:50:46
- Re: OT: Laptops...., lincoln.burrows, Wed, 14 Jan 2009 02:26:51
- Re: OT: Laptops...., lincoln.burrows, Wed, 14 Jan 2009 02:24:40
- Thanks sooo much everyone!!!...., turrbo , Sat, 5 Jun 2004 15:28:55
- Go light!, Tim B., Sat, 5 Jun 2004 05:44:42
- I review them, phil, Fri, 4 Jun 2004 23:29:42
- Re: OT: Laptops...., C H Tay, Fri, 4 Jun 2004 19:56:17
- my $0.02, a day late..., saabgirlie , Fri, 4 Jun 2004 16:09:36 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: OT: Laptops...., kaslop, Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:38:12
- OK how 'bout this: Pentium or Centrino..., turrbo , Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:37:49
- Vendor support and weight are key (long), KenB, Thu, 3 Jun 2004 18:46:53
- Ditto the advice about checking with the school,, RonD , Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:58:23
- Per Ms. Jessica, Stephen Goldberger, Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:24:44
- 9 lbs? Been there, done that, have the shoulder damage, Noel , Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:23:56
- I agree with Trev below...., Roger, Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:39:14
- Currently have 17" Gateway..., KB900psi, Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:06:19
- IBM makes the best lap-tops these days. n/m, J, Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:55:50
- Re: OT: Laptops...., Randy Thatcher , Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:09:34
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
|Jak Stoll Performance
Random Saabnet.com Member Gallery Photos (Click Image)
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!