Go light! - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main General Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Latest Member Gallery Photos]
Posted by Tim B. [Email] (more from Tim B.) on Sat, 5 Jun 2004 05:44:42
In Reply to: OT: Laptops...., turrbo [Profile/Gallery]
, Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:50:46
I also bought my first laptop when I went off to school two years ago. I do some web design and film work, so I wanted something speedy with a big screen. I ended up with a Sony GRX560 (which had the largest screen on the market at the time at 16.1") that weighs something like 8.5 lbs and is just big and gompy.
I LOVE the screen, but .. I'd go for smaller next time. I think Sony does some of the best LCDs out there, but the laptop is so big it's a pain to carry around. Go for something with a 14" or 15" screen that's closer to 4-5lbs. They're cheaper and more mobile. Really, if you need a huge screen, buy a CRT or extra LCD to go with it. Also, a 17" LCD will be VERY expensive to replace if it fails out of warranty.
DO NOT GET A full-blown Pentium 4. The thing will be *waaaaay* too hot, as others have mentioned, and you might have to deal with overheating problems. Face it, they're not designed for laptops. Only go with a MOBILE chip, like the Pentium 4-M or Centrino. I have a P4-M, thankfully, and I've heard many horror stories from people with the P4 desktop version installed in a laptop.
Heh, if you get this behemoth of a laptop, why spend money on a port replicator? You probably won't be taking the laptop anywhere... :) Seriously though, while I enjoy my computer, I regret having such a huge one and wished that I, too, like my roommate, could grab my computer with one hand and hoist it into my lofted bed.
Wireless is good, 60 gb drive is good (although what's the RPM? I recently upgraded my laptop -- due to a failing drive -- to a Hitachi 60gb 7200 rpm, which is the same speed as most higher performance desktop drives, and let me tell you, the difference over a 4200 rpm is simply amazing. More than the screen, processor, ram, etc, if you have a slow hard drive, the rest of your computer will be bogged down. Spend the extra money to get a faster drive, not a bigger screen, and you will be happier, IMHO.
Reality check: anything you get will be fine, but it's sort of a which is "more better," I'd say. I've heard of Gateways not being as reliable as others (like Dell), but Gateway has a history of A) great warranties and B) no-nonsense replacement policies, a combination that makes fixing or replacing your computer less of a hassle. Gateways were, for a while, less expensive than their Dell counterparts, too, but I'm not sure if that's true anymore.
89 900S 5spd HB 173k
97 900S 5spd 5-door 95k (sister's)
95 9000CS LPT 5spd 91k (Mom's)
92 900S 5spd HB 140k (other sister's)
87 900S 5spd HB 205k (Dad's)
posted by 66.186.18...
Posts in this Thread:
- OT: Laptops...., turrbo , Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:50:46
- Re: OT: Laptops...., lincoln.burrows, Wed, 14 Jan 2009 02:26:51
- Re: OT: Laptops...., lincoln.burrows, Wed, 14 Jan 2009 02:24:40
- Thanks sooo much everyone!!!...., turrbo , Sat, 5 Jun 2004 15:28:55
- Go light!, Tim B., Sat, 5 Jun 2004 05:44:42 <-- Viewing This Message
- I review them, phil, Fri, 4 Jun 2004 23:29:42
- Re: OT: Laptops...., C H Tay, Fri, 4 Jun 2004 19:56:17
- my $0.02, a day late..., saabgirlie , Fri, 4 Jun 2004 16:09:36
- Re: OT: Laptops...., kaslop, Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:38:12
- OK how 'bout this: Pentium or Centrino..., turrbo , Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:37:49
- Vendor support and weight are key (long), KenB, Thu, 3 Jun 2004 18:46:53
- Ditto the advice about checking with the school,, RonD , Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:58:23
- Per Ms. Jessica, Stephen Goldberger, Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:24:44
- 9 lbs? Been there, done that, have the shoulder damage, Noel , Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:23:56
- I agree with Trev below...., Roger, Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:39:14
- Currently have 17" Gateway..., KB900psi, Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:06:19
- IBM makes the best lap-tops these days. n/m, J, Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:55:50
- Re: OT: Laptops...., Randy Thatcher , Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:09:34
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!