NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
By EMF, I assume you mean electromagnetic fields? (and hopefully not the band - their music could I suppose have various, even "unbelievable", effects on the human body!)
I would not in any way worry about my safety in the presence of the field through the ignition switch of an ICE vehicle. There is not all that much current and it is essentially DC. Magnetic field around a wire is proportional to current but falls off at 1/r (1 over distance from the wire. So if you hypothetically had 10A (a lot!) through a wire, at a metre, it works out to about 2x10-6 T of magnetic field (0.02G), or about a 10th of the earth's magnetic field. At 1 cm, it is 10x the earth's field, but this amount of static field is in no way dangerous. I do not fear for my kids when they play with bar magnets.
That example is a DC current, so the magnetic field does not change with time. EM fields can be time varying and their frequency makes a big difference in how we percieve them. Electromagnetic fields are dangerous when they are at certain frequencies with enough intensity, eg a microwave oven, or UV light, or X-rays.
In a car (EV included), you are dealing with low frequencies and moderate currents, so basically static fields. This would not concern me at all. Even for an AC motor in a car (with an inverter), I would not be concerned.
I watched an art film last year about someone's perception of sensitivity to stray fields. It was interesting from an artistic perspective but it seemed at odds with physics in many aspects. Maybe some people are more affected by this than others but how is unclear. The human body is complicated both physiogically and psychologically.
->Posting last edited on Thu, 15 Feb 2018 05:40:25.
Posts in this Thread:
- OT: Polite question to the Tesla S Owners here, MI-Roger , Fri, 9 Feb 2018 09:50:56
- Yes, the range is true, vvk, Mon, 12 Feb 2018 20:50:33
- Re: OT: Polite question to the Tesla S Owners here, Dave The Ice Age Knave , Fri, 9 Feb 2018 19:52:13
- The problem with EV ranges...., Noel , Fri, 9 Feb 2018 14:16:10
- These kinds of trips are no problem at all, vvk, Mon, 12 Feb 2018 20:55:20
- Re: The problem with EV ranges...., EGD , Sun, 11 Feb 2018 18:16:18
- Idle fees, A1-turbo, Mon, 12 Feb 2018 06:07:24
- Re: The problem with EV ranges...., Snowmobile , Sat, 10 Feb 2018 06:03:34
- Re: The problem with EV ranges...., Craig, Mon, 12 Feb 2018 12:05:15
- I'm not an early adopter and think Teslas are, Noel , Sat, 10 Feb 2018 11:28:05
- Re: I'm not an early adopter and think Teslas are, No Snaab, Sat, 10 Feb 2018 15:58:01
- It depends. We can do the whole run in one day, Noel , Tue, 13 Feb 2018 11:09:35
- I agree 100%, MI-Roger , Sun, 11 Feb 2018 07:54:48
- Sad reality of vehicle range, MI-Roger , Sun, 11 Feb 2018 08:53:40
- 4 mph, vvk, Wed, 14 Feb 2018 04:02:33
- lease does not make any sense, vvk, Mon, 12 Feb 2018 21:02:47
- autopilot, Snowmobile , Tue, 13 Feb 2018 07:16:49
- Plug-In Hybrids, i.e. Chevy Volt, Bill Homer, Mon, 12 Feb 2018 19:38:34
- Chevrolet Bolt, A1-turbo, Sun, 11 Feb 2018 10:53:09
- Re: Sad reality of vehicle range, Dave The Ice Age Knave , Sun, 11 Feb 2018 09:44:19
- Current Tesla ranges, A1-turbo, Fri, 9 Feb 2018 12:02:13
- Re: OT: Polite question to the Tesla S Owners here, Justin VanAbrahams, Fri, 9 Feb 2018 09:54:30
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.