Re: Cell phones in the backcountry - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
cell phone coverage is extremely poor or non-existent in the coast range of Calif, Oregon, and Washington. And if you drop into a canyon or ravine, you will not have a signal, period. If you have a GPS, then sure, you can call up a map to see where you are--- in the middle of nowhere, in a ravine, but you already know that. Without a detailed topo map, you will have no idea how difficult that 3 or 5 mi hike could be. Driving on remote roads in the mountains in winter is a serious undertaking, and cell phones/OnStar/gps just give a false sense of security.
posted by 24.6.223...
Posts in this Thread:
- emergency stuff in trunk, hdm, Fri, 8 Dec 2006 14:36:08
- Something to add from c|net, ChuckD , Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:22:15
- can you make a cell antenna from a car panel?, steve, Sat, 9 Dec 2006 20:04:57
- There's also common sense, Noel , Sat, 9 Dec 2006 06:28:30
- Interesting rule of thumb in a CNN story, Oscar, Fri, 8 Dec 2006 22:54:02
- freeze dried food.. MRE's.., -993-, Fri, 8 Dec 2006 20:22:29
- TP, jp, Sat, 9 Dec 2006 08:03:08
- Basics, EricG, Fri, 8 Dec 2006 18:17:24
- Interesting that nobody mentions OnStar, Caarma , Fri, 8 Dec 2006 18:16:19
- Since GM charges for it ....., Trev, Sat, 9 Dec 2006 08:33:35
- 911 mentality, JMJ in NC, Sat, 9 Dec 2006 06:12:49
- OnStar works on Verizon's land-based cellular system, Bill Homer, Fri, 8 Dec 2006 21:07:32
- With GPS nav they wouldn't have needed it (nm), AdamB , Fri, 8 Dec 2006 20:23:50
- OnStar not available in Alaska. You'd think . . ., Mike in Anchorage, Fri, 8 Dec 2006 18:38:34
- I have been thinking about the same stuff... (long)..., Chaz, Fri, 8 Dec 2006 16:57:32
- Re: emergency stuff in trunk, Noel , Fri, 8 Dec 2006 14:55:34
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!