Let me explain - Saabnet.com Bulletin Board
> But the car needs to be charged at the same frequency (or nearly so) that an ICE car needs to be refueled.
The difference is that you are charging AT HOME.
I remember reading about a natural gas Civic on Edmunds and thinking how great it would be to be able to refuel at home overnight. This is the same thing, only cheaper. It takes literally 10 seconds to insert the recharging cable into the car. It is VERY different from having to stop by a gas station to refuel. I don't have a gas station at home. The only gas station close to my house closes at 8 pm. The next closest station closes at 9 pm. I find it extremely inconvenient.
> The Supercharger recharge time is 30 minutes rather than under 5 minutes for a tank of fuel.
I love taking the Tesla on long trips. Autopilot aside (90% of the drive is done by the car,) the supercharging experience feels significantly better than refueling an ICE car. I have found that I really do not spend any more time supercharging than I do refueling at a gas station. By the time everyone has gone to the bathroom, the windshield is cleaned, the trash is taken out and the kids are buckled in, it is the same 15-20 minutes at the gas station, minimum. Since we mostly travel at night, my wife and kids usually wait for me to finish refueling the car before walking inside -- this is an additional delay that does not happen when we take the Tesla. It takes 10 seconds to connect the cable and then all of us walk away to do our business. Also, since we mostly travel at night, often times I am not sure how to find a 24 hour gas station in rural areas, so I stop for gas well before the fuel tank is empty. With supercharger locations always known and usually in nice areas, it is much more relaxing and worry free. There are also no fuel smells, no payment delays, no delays getting the receipt (happens) and hassle of any kind. Nice, clean, quiet -- superb experience all around.
If you ask any Tesla owner about supercharging, the answer you will get most of the time: the car is ready before we are. This is almost always the case. When the car has charged enough to get to the next supercharger, you get a notification on your smartphone. This invariably happens before we get back to the car.
posted by 38.126.150...
Posts in this Thread:
- OT: Irrational Exurbance?, MI-Roger , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 08:32:56
- Re: another interesting discussion n/m, Tom g , Tue, 18 Jul 2017 13:01:20
- Amazing ownership experience, vvk, Fri, 14 Jul 2017 16:19:27
- I still don't understand all of the attraction, MI-Roger , Sat, 15 Jul 2017 14:40:18
- Let me explain, vvk, Mon, 17 Jul 2017 05:54:35 <-- Viewing This Message
- OK, now I understand your position, MI-Roger , Tue, 18 Jul 2017 04:55:16
- Re: Let me explain, Tom g , Mon, 17 Jul 2017 19:29:11
- I know it is difficult to believe, I was in the same boat, vvk, Tue, 18 Jul 2017 07:44:41
- Man, spot on., Justin VanAbrahams, Wed, 19 Jul 2017 10:15:00
- Re: thanks for the info, Tom g , Tue, 18 Jul 2017 20:56:10
- Not me, vvk, Wed, 19 Jul 2017 04:04:29
- Electric vehicle recharging is shockingly inexpensive, MI-Roger , Tue, 18 Jul 2017 05:07:52
- Re: I still don't understand all of the attraction, JerseySaab , Sat, 15 Jul 2017 18:58:28
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, Dean, Fri, 14 Jul 2017 09:29:47
- Why I buy used cars... and never first model years!, Snowmobile , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 09:03:51
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, JerseySaab , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 08:53:42
- Electric car fee, Finch, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:39:11
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, Bill Homer, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 09:38:52
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, JerseySaab , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:46:57
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, Bill Homer, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 08:44:22
- Substantial??, A1-turbo, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:54:31
- EPA mileage vs real world, vvk, Fri, 14 Jul 2017 16:28:23
- Skewed comparisons, Bill Homer, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 21:54:59
- Re: volt, Tom g , Tue, 18 Jul 2017 13:00:09
- Re: volt, Bill Homer, Tue, 18 Jul 2017 22:10:44
- Re: Skewed comparisons, Snowmobile , Fri, 14 Jul 2017 06:53:11
- Fuel cost savings changes by around $10, A1-turbo, Fri, 14 Jul 2017 06:28:26
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, JerseySaab , Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:46:12
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, A1-turbo, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 12:05:39
- You are using outdated information, Bill Homer, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 14:27:36
- My premium comment was about the Audi, A1-turbo, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 17:21:58
- $0.06/kWh ??? Where does this come from?, dmz789qqq, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 17:07:53
- Re: $0.06/kWh ??? Where does this come from?, Justin VanAbrahams, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 18:01:28
- Re: $0.06/kWh ??? Where does this come from?, dmz789qqq, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 18:06:33
- Re: $0.06/kWh ??? Where does this come from?, Justin VanAbrahams, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 21:13:59
- Does 8 c/kWh include everything? Are you sure?, dmz789qqq, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 22:31:44
- Re: Does 8 c/kWh include everything? Are you sure?, Justin VanAbrahams, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 03:14:52
- Southern California's Rates Doubled Over North Central California, DnstrDan , Fri, 11 Aug 2017 10:41:33
- Yes, we are getting hosed. Most of CA is too., dmz789qqq, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 16:16:33
- Re: Does 8 c/kWh include everything? Are you sure?, Bill Homer, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 09:01:09
- Re: You are using outdated information, Snowmobile , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:10:41
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, skyscraper, nor box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!