I know it is difficult to believe, I was in the same boat - Saabnet.com Bulletin Board
> First, I never get receipts because in all my years of driving, receipts just become more slips of paper in my wallet
In my opinion, it is very important to get receipts because of bad gas. If you get bad gas, which happens often enough, having a receipt may mean the difference between getting your repair bills reimbursed or not.
> Recharging at home seems a great idea, almost like getting something for next to nothing, but how much recharging takes place overnight?
For me, almost 100%. Plug it in, and forget about it. The car is always ready in the morning. Public charging stations are a non-issue. For traveling there are superchargers.
> Also, unless charging from solar panels (as Scott mentioned) there is some charge for the electricity. It's not free.
For me, the cost is 1/8 of the cost to fuel my BMW.
> there aren't nearly enough charging stations to accommodate all the cars that would need them
This is where most people just don't get it. This is the biggest argument in the minds of most people who have not owned a long range EV and the biggest non-argument in the minds of the people who have. Public charging stations DO NOT MATTER! I would not care at all if there were zero stations in the world. Not at all. As long as I can drive more than 150 miles a day and charge at home and use superchargers on long trips -- I don't care about public charging stations. They do not exist in my mind. Public charging stations are convenient sometimes but they are absolutely unnecessary. And most of them are just WAY too slow. I don't want to spend 8 hours recharging on a level 2 charger at the mall or at the store -- it just takes too long. I can see chargers at hotels, if you can charge there overnight during your sleep. But VAST majority of public chargers just don't matter.
> I find it's hard to imagine supercharging at home, isn't that 480v?
At home you use a regular 240V outlet. Most Tesla owners install a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Some use their clothes dryer outlet. I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet that recharges my Model S at 30 miles or range per hour of charging.
> The model 3 (or whatever it's called) doesn't get free super charging correct? What's the charge time and cost in those cases?
No free supercharging but supercharging will be available for long trips. The cost will be comparable to the cost of gas. Considering the car will be relatively affordable, I say it is a good deal.
posted by 73.188.181...
Posts in this Thread:
- OT: Irrational Exurbance?, MI-Roger , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 08:32:56
- Re: another interesting discussion n/m, Tom g , Tue, 18 Jul 2017 13:01:20
- Amazing ownership experience, vvk, Fri, 14 Jul 2017 16:19:27
- I still don't understand all of the attraction, MI-Roger , Sat, 15 Jul 2017 14:40:18
- Let me explain, vvk, Mon, 17 Jul 2017 05:54:35
- OK, now I understand your position, MI-Roger , Tue, 18 Jul 2017 04:55:16
- Re: Let me explain, Tom g , Mon, 17 Jul 2017 19:29:11
- I know it is difficult to believe, I was in the same boat, vvk, Tue, 18 Jul 2017 07:44:41 <-- Viewing This Message
- Man, spot on., Justin VanAbrahams, Wed, 19 Jul 2017 10:15:00
- Re: thanks for the info, Tom g , Tue, 18 Jul 2017 20:56:10
- Not me, vvk, Wed, 19 Jul 2017 04:04:29
- Electric vehicle recharging is shockingly inexpensive, MI-Roger , Tue, 18 Jul 2017 05:07:52
- Re: I still don't understand all of the attraction, JerseySaab , Sat, 15 Jul 2017 18:58:28
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, Dean, Fri, 14 Jul 2017 09:29:47
- Why I buy used cars... and never first model years!, Snowmobile , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 09:03:51
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, JerseySaab , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 08:53:42
- Electric car fee, Finch, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:39:11
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, Bill Homer, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 09:38:52
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, JerseySaab , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:46:57
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, Bill Homer, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 08:44:22
- Substantial??, A1-turbo, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:54:31
- EPA mileage vs real world, vvk, Fri, 14 Jul 2017 16:28:23
- Skewed comparisons, Bill Homer, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 21:54:59
- Re: volt, Tom g , Tue, 18 Jul 2017 13:00:09
- Re: volt, Bill Homer, Tue, 18 Jul 2017 22:10:44
- Re: Skewed comparisons, Snowmobile , Fri, 14 Jul 2017 06:53:11
- Fuel cost savings changes by around $10, A1-turbo, Fri, 14 Jul 2017 06:28:26
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, JerseySaab , Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:46:12
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, A1-turbo, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 12:05:39
- You are using outdated information, Bill Homer, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 14:27:36
- My premium comment was about the Audi, A1-turbo, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 17:21:58
- $0.06/kWh ??? Where does this come from?, dmz789qqq, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 17:07:53
- Re: $0.06/kWh ??? Where does this come from?, Justin VanAbrahams, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 18:01:28
- Re: $0.06/kWh ??? Where does this come from?, dmz789qqq, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 18:06:33
- Re: $0.06/kWh ??? Where does this come from?, Justin VanAbrahams, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 21:13:59
- Does 8 c/kWh include everything? Are you sure?, dmz789qqq, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 22:31:44
- Re: Does 8 c/kWh include everything? Are you sure?, Justin VanAbrahams, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 03:14:52
- Southern California's Rates Doubled Over North Central California, DnstrDan , Fri, 11 Aug 2017 10:41:33
- Yes, we are getting hosed. Most of CA is too., dmz789qqq, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 16:16:33
- Re: Does 8 c/kWh include everything? Are you sure?, Bill Homer, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 09:01:09
- Re: You are using outdated information, Snowmobile , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:10:41
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, skyscraper, nor box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!