Re: Subaru Outback - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
I bought a 2.5L 1999 Legacy outback for one daughter (10 years ago) and a 1998 2.2L Impreza for my other daughter (6 years ago) when they were in high school and to carry on through college. The Legacy had 120K on it and the Impreza had 86K on it at acquisition. Both are automatics and have been absolutely great vehicles with no major issues. I put new shocks on them and I've done the usual timing belt changes, brakes, fluids, and exhaust repairs but they've needed little else (replaced a couple of axle boots along the way. The Legacy needed a new starter at 210K, and I replaced the alternator on the Impreza at 125K. Their paint and interiors have held up very nicely and both were popular enough that anything I needed to do was on YouTube.
Neither has had the dreaded head gasket issue that plagued these vintage engines, but I think the Legacy had it done before I got it. Both engines have one design flaw - Subaru used a plastic cover for an oil seal in the bell housing and those leak. The replacement part is now metal. Its annoying but manageable if you clean the engine 1-2 times a year. I will eventually pull the engine and replace it on the Legacy. My daughter bought an old BMW last year and I bought the Legacy off her for $1000 because I like it, I had just changed out the starter, exhausts, timing belt, and put a $650 set of Michelin defenders on it. These are great cars!
Posts in this Thread:
- Post SAAB what to drive?, ursaw, Sat, 7 Sep 2019 18:24:00
- Been driving a Jetta..., Larry West , Fri, 27 Sep 2019 10:10:591
- I'll bite -- why not a Golf?, Cary, Mon, 16 Sep 2019 16:25:26
- Re: Post SAAB what to drive?, BTG88, Sat, 14 Sep 2019 21:38:35
- TourX FTW!, Norm9-5, Wed, 18 Sep 2019 13:36:06
- Re: Post SAAB what to drive? no it is NOT a saab !, neil dale , Mon, 16 Sep 2019 22:15:281
- Crosstour was a Honda, A1-turbo, Mon, 16 Sep 2019 06:02:31
- Buick cross tour???, saabsince 93b , Sun, 15 Sep 2019 19:18:06
- Re: Post SAAB what to drive?, Dave The Ice Age Knave , Fri, 13 Sep 2019 15:50:43
- Re: Post SAAB what to drive?, bobc , Thu, 12 Sep 2019 06:57:071
- Subaru Outback, Dale , Thu, 12 Sep 2019 05:40:34
- Re: Post SAAB what to drive?, 02 Viggen, Wed, 11 Sep 2019 18:36:38
- I think I'll try to find this first..., Scott Paterson , Tue, 10 Sep 2019 21:43:433
- Ford Focus ST or RS, Chevy SS, Unicorn, Randy Thatcher , Tue, 10 Sep 2019 08:43:53
- Re: Post SAAB what to drive?, steve, Tue, 10 Sep 2019 08:01:30
- Honda Civic, No Snaab, Tue, 10 Sep 2019 05:56:18
- Honda CRV, No Snaab, Tue, 10 Sep 2019 04:36:581
- Comments on feedback, ursaw, Sun, 8 Sep 2019 19:29:24
- Re: Post SAAB what to drive?, DE , Sun, 8 Sep 2019 07:54:46
- Same dilemma here, MI-Roger , Sun, 8 Sep 2019 06:34:28
- Hatchbacks, A1-turbo, Sun, 8 Sep 2019 05:42:061
- Re: Post SAAB what to drive? step up spend more get more, neil dale , Sat, 7 Sep 2019 23:03:18
- Re: Post SAAB what to drive?, bigblue15 , Sat, 7 Sep 2019 21:43:46
- Re: Post SAAB what to drive?, EGD , Sat, 7 Sep 2019 20:53:59
- Re: Post SAAB what to drive?, Ian Glenday , Sat, 7 Sep 2019 18:59:25
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!