Re: I have never used ethanol - me either - Saab 900 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main C900 Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Latest Member Gallery Photos]
Re: I have never used ethanol - me either
Posted by oldsaab [Email] (more from oldsaab) on Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:09:44
In Reply to: I have never used ethanol,, tibbidoh [Profile/Gallery]
, Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:46:26
So riddle me this Batman...
besides the mileage factor which I believe is generally accepted to be less than typical gasoline...
If you run E85 does the engine make more horsepower? What is the octane of E85 (I was told in Texas it was 105 - maybe it's like everything in Texas - bigger)? Does an ethanol Octane rating equate to an octane rating for typical gasoline? Would you get more horsepower like you do with 87 vs 91 vs 93 gasoline if the engine were setup to continue to boost higher if the knock sensor was happy?
If the engine does produce more horsepower, and mileage is not my goal, would running E85 be a good thing to do, and are there any other side effects, aka do I have to do any ajustments to the vehicle to avoid issues?
Let's pick cars like a 1987 900T with LH2.2, a 1990 900T with LH2.4,
and a 1996 9000T Aero that specifies premium.
Posts in this Thread:
- Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 02:54:45
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, Ari, Tue, 14 Jul 2009 04:19:15
- Let's leave the politics aside ..., mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:41:35
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:48:16
- I have never used ethanol,, tibbidoh , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:46:26
- Re: I have never used ethanol, mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:13:08
- Re: I have never used ethanol - me either, oldsaab, Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:09:44 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: I have never used ethanol,, Justin VanAbrahams , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:35:33
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, tibbidoh , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:00:39
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, Landjet , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 05:18:29
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!