Re: pump and fan - Saab 900 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
re: avoiding waste heat.
I suppose the main advantage of avoiding waste heat is that it saves fuel energy off the top.
The second advantage is that you don't have to expend yet more energy to get rid of it. At speed, cooling is mainly passive, so the energy drain is low (aerodynamic drag, alternator drag, and slight pump friction). Probably not enough to worry about this year.
The thermodynamic angels should bless a cool engine. A blue sky suggestion: if the engine runs cool enough, can you get away with a smaller radiator, and using the grill space to instead cool the turbocharged air? Parallel intercoolers?
posted by 69.12.207...
Posts in this Thread:
- Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 02:54:45
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, Ari, Tue, 14 Jul 2009 04:19:15
- Let's leave the politics aside ..., mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:41:35
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:48:16
- I have never used ethanol,, tibbidoh , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:46:26
- Re: I have never used ethanol, mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:13:08
- Re: I have never used ethanol - me either, oldsaab, Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:09:44
- Re: I have never used ethanol,, Justin VanAbrahams , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:35:33
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, tibbidoh , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:00:39
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, Landjet , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 05:18:29
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!