Re: I have never used ethanol, - Saab 900 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
Read my reply to your post above.
This is crazy:
> Race Fuel at $9.00 a gallon. WHP 300. Mileage 15 MPG Boost 22 PSI
> E85 or?? at $3.00 a gallon. WHP 300. Mileage 10 MPG Boost 29 PSI
300hp in a Lemons car? That's insane. And not doable on the stock head, turbo, engine management, or ignition. You are talking about a $3000+ engine to make 300 reliable horsepower, E85 or otherwise. You are going to blow up transmissions left and right. I would be concerned about a stock bottom end being able to handle that for a long time - at least the type of stock bottom end you can buy for $500.
We are running 12psi on the Lemons car, and there is nothing on the track that can pass us. A couple cars keep up, but nothing gets by. I'd be shocked if we're making 240hp. Probably 200, maybe 220. That's an entirely stock engine (with 183,000 miles) save a really aggressive hand porting job on the head and a $15 Home Depot boost controller. Traction is a problem. Engine output is not. I would be VERY concerned about racing a 300hp car for 12+ hours on 200 treadwear tires. That sounds like a formula for booboos.
That of course is my $0.02, YMMV...
posted by 65.78.132...
Posts in this Thread:
- Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 02:54:45
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, Ari, Tue, 14 Jul 2009 04:19:15
- Let's leave the politics aside ..., mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:41:35
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:48:16
- I have never used ethanol,, tibbidoh , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:46:26
- Re: I have never used ethanol, mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:13:08
- Re: I have never used ethanol - me either, oldsaab, Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:09:44
- Re: I have never used ethanol,, Justin VanAbrahams , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:35:33
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, tibbidoh , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:00:39
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, Landjet , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 05:18:29
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!