Re: I have never used ethanol, - Saab 900 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
9/21 Abandoned Saab Dealership |
8/25 WIN A $100 GIFT CARD |
7/31 Member of the Year |
New Feature: BB Daily Digest Email
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
We are using the entire drivetrain from a 1990 900T - no 2.1l anything, just the ported 1990 head and the stock intake. We've been using one set of tires per race - the last two years we've emerged with two tires with "some" life and two tires that are not safe to continue to run. But, we've never used more than one set per race. We're getting 2-3 races per set of brakes, too, which I find amazing. Our consumables aren't getting consumed.
To answer your question - somewhat - E85 is probably as good or slightly better than race gas. I *believe* that "100 octane race gas" isn't measured with the MON/RON average, so what you've really got is the option of 92/93 octane pump gas or 97/98 octane race gas. E85 is generally 3-4 points higher than pump gas, so roughly equivalent to race gas using the same scale. I don't think E85 could ever be attributed to be 105 octane, at least not using the same averaging scale that American pump gas uses.
If you can tune the thing to run E85 properly, yeah, I'll bet it's quite a bit more economical to run than race gas. In a race application, it's probably easier to tune since you don't really have to worry about a nice idle or emissions - two things that LH 2.x with big injectors wouldn't be good at.
posted by 12.71.42...
Posts in this Thread:
- Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 02:54:45
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, Ari , Tue, 14 Jul 2009 04:19:15
- Let's leave the politics aside ..., mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:41:35
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:48:16
- I have never used ethanol,, tibbidoh , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:46:26
- Re: I have never used ethanol, mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:13:08
- Re: I have never used ethanol - me either, oldsaab, Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:09:44
- Re: I have never used ethanol,, Justin VanAbrahams , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:35:33
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, tibbidoh , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:00:39
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, Landjet , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 05:18:29
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!