Re: Thanks for the data point - Saab 900 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
7/20 New Member Feature: Fewer Ads in Classifieds & More |
7/20: Saab Convention Photos |
7/11: Saab Photo of the Year Winners |
New Feature: BB Daily Digest Email
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
The jet engine operator was the late USAF Colonel Leroy Gordon Cooper, and the incident was in about 1969. Cooper was in Indianapolis working on a racing car. The pilot for Apollo 10 got sick, and Cooper was summoned to Houston to stand in. Cooper's transport was a T38, it was a weekend, and the local Indy airport was out of jet fuel. He tanked up on methanol. He figured that since methanol had fewer BTUs per gallon than jet fuel he would only make it to the next airport where he could refuel properly. He thought maybe he could attain 30,000 feet. At 40,000 feet, he noted that the engines ran better than on jet fuel. He flew to Houston non stop. There he reported to the engineering officer what he had done. The officer got upset, claiming that the engine was probably ruined. But there was no damage.
I'll remember your test as "unknown (non Saab) FlexFuel passenger vehicle, unadjusted, mixed city and highway driving, yields 20% less mileage on E85 than gasoline of unknown formulation." Thank you. I will be satisfied if I can operate that well with a C900 and 190 proof.
Something is puzzling here. If ethanol has only 76,000 BTU/gallon compared to gasoline's 110,000 BTUs (some sources say 125,000 BTUs) then the test vehicle should have seen a mileage reduction of 31% instead of 20%. What gives?
posted by 69.12.207...
Posts in this Thread:
- Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 02:54:45
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, Ari , Tue, 14 Jul 2009 04:19:15
- Let's leave the politics aside ..., mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:41:35
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:48:16
- I have never used ethanol,, tibbidoh , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:46:26
- Re: I have never used ethanol, mag , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:13:08
- Re: I have never used ethanol - me either, oldsaab, Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:09:44
- Re: I have never used ethanol,, Justin VanAbrahams , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:35:33
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, tibbidoh , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:00:39
- Re: Do cooler operating temps reduce mechanical losses?, Landjet , Mon, 13 Jul 2009 05:18:29
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!